Wednesday, April 18, 2012

So much is going on around here

Hey there! How are you doing? It has been a whirlwind of life around here. Today I am working on some Hero bags. I had to break out my old Necchi sewing machine to power my way through these uniforms. I think it must be the thread I am using. It is completely beautiful Prescencia cotton, but My 820 detests it. My Necchi is like the Honey Badger and does not care what sort of thread I try to use. Normally I would just put it aside for hand sewing, but this blue just looks so good glowing against the greens of the older BDUs. Between you and me I am pretty much afraid to use my Bernia 820 until we move back to Kansas and I can be closer to the Bernina shop.
There is something to be said for a machine that is as simple and basic as this one is. All I do is plug it in and it is ready to go. No drama at all.
The weather was amazing this weekend so we spent lots of time outside.
Sam has been carrying these "little Men" around. He likes to set them up, make them have meetings and then they eat. For dessert they always have a chocolate fountain. My husband and I thought that was hilarious. Peace being discussed over a chocolate fountain. If only it could be so simple in real life. The thimble is the chocolate fountain. Dinner is slices of spring onion.
Do you ever have to do this? take all your spices out and dig around just to find crushed red pepper? Oh by the way, the red pepper flakes were right beside the stove like they should be. They live in a pretty jar beside my other favorite spices.
We made pizza.
Emma likes to sew her barbies into their clothing.
Kerry came over for a Welsh quilting class last week. We had a great time until her sewing machine broke right in front of our eyes. It was a new machine she bought at Walmart a couple years ago. She said it had been acting strangely for a couple days. As soon as she got to my house she wanted to know what sort of sewing machine I recommended she buy. Well, I have strong opinions about that. Up until last year I was a Bernina girl through and through. But with all the 820 drama I am not anymore. I think you can't go wrong with an old Singer. An OLD METAL one. NOT the cheapo plastic ones you buy at Walmart or Target. They are crap and will break for no reason. You need to have a good reliable sewing machine. You don't need to deal with frustration of a poorly made in China machine. So, I recommended she get an old Singer 301. Really, go look at Ebay. They are all over the place. The 301 is the big sister to the Featherweight. They were made in the 1950s. The parts are interchangeable. But the wonderful thing about the 301 is that you can drop the feed-dogs and quilt! Seriously. You should go find a 301 for yourself. They come with wonderful rattan boxes and a variety of feet. And cost much less than the Featherweights.
Kerry took my Necchi home to quilt with, but that night she won one of the Singer 301s on Ebay. Well, as soon as it arrived she brought it over so I could help her out with it. What a gem she now owns! I don't think it was ever used. It looks brand new. I guess someone bought it in 1951 and stuck it in their closet. Isn't that the dream all of us sewing machine collectors have? The oil had never been opened nor had the lube, the needles were still in their packs. The delightful attachments were nestled in their box awaiting Kerry to figure them out. I helped her oil it and find the gears to add lube to. We threaded it and it was ready to go! She took the first stitches (the virgin run if you will) and it sounds like such a great machine. Powerful and precise. So much better than her other machine. I am so happy for her. I may have bid on a couple myself last night.
Sometimes it is nice to sit in the floor and sew with my Stanley. Notice his paw on my foot. Such a great therapy dog. He has an ear infection so he has been feeling badly. I have to give him his ear wash and antibiotics when he is a sleep.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say Hi. I feel like I have been away forever!

xo,
Tia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, this couldn't have come at a better time! My "Costco Special" Brother xr9000 stopped working today for no apparent reason and is currently on life support at the service shop. I just couldn't imagine going from a less than $200.00 machine to one of the $3,000 models that many of the bloggers I read use. I mean, this is my hobby, not my job!
But I also couldn't see buying the same cheapo machine every two years because they don't last.
You present a very tempting, sensible option!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...