Sunday, February 17, 2008

weddings and quilts

Here is my Sew mama sew quilt along dissapearing 9 patch quilt. I added a boarder to make it big enough to be a lap quilt. I also decided to give it a little "theme". I wanted it to look like the sun in a kids drawing. It is just so hot here. Ok, well one of my husbands soldiers got married last night to a friend of mine. I kept meaning to make them something, but the bags kept getting further and further behind, so I put off my gift making. Well, yesterday was coming up fast! I had to do something! I went to our lovely little strange KMART and looked around. I just couldn't give any of that junk as a gift, so I returned to my little studio and made some changes to my quilt top and quilted it up. Both bride and groom are from large cities (Long Island and Philly) and are now here in one of the smallest towns....so I gave them my "Summer in the City" quilt.


I wanted the quilting to look like heat waves...swirling and radiating. Like a mirage in the distance. I used a wool batting that I realy liked, but it was so strange and lumpy in places. My daughter said she didn't think the bride would like the quilt because it smelled just too funny. Yeah, the wool did smell, well wooly. But after it's wash it crinkled up so nice and didn't stink anymore. I think it turned out lovely. I think I will keep a spare quilt top on hand from now on, just for times when a gift is needed. The wedding was lovely. It was out at the Desert park and began right as the sun dipped below the west McDonalds. Very nice.

The heat has broken! I have always been an autumn gal. I just love it when the weather begins to cool and there is a slight nip in the air. Makes me think of cinnimon apples and pumpkin soup. Well, the weather has finally broken. I was driving to school Friday to drop the kids off and was thinking to myself, "wow I need to bring a sweater Monday" When I got home I looked to see how "cold" it was...89F that is really not too cold, is it? My blood has just thinned so much living here in the heat. Camping is going to be interesting this year, but I am sure we will still give it a shot.

4 comments:

Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

What a wonderful quilt! I love how you made it like the sun. Great gift, I bet they will cherish it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! And so lovely and heartfelt. I know they are just going to love it...

The Army of Four said...

Beautiful quilt! Your quilting is awesome - really "makes" it! What a lovely gift!!!
Karen

bettyninja said...

Very interesting border and quilting work. I love the white space and how different it looks. I am so inspired.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...