Tuesday, September 30, 2008

quilty goodness

What a busy weekend it was. Saturday night we had our big Mexican dinner fundraiser for the ball next year. Since we are a little detachment here we "get" to do our own fundraising. Well, all the preparation was worth it. It was awesome. Veronica (one of the spectacular spouses here) really did awesome. I am pretty sure she doesn't read my blog (I do try to keep a low profile here in my real world) but if some day she does, I just want to launch my thanks and appreciation out to her in cyber-space. YOU ROCK Veronica! I got to work the deep fryer to cook the empanadas. I have never been at the helm of a deep fryer, but it was pretty fun, and go on last minute grocery store runs where I almost hit (with my truck) a small tribe of inebriated aborigines. I swear those guys have a death wish to get between me and 5 KG of ground beef.

Before the Mexican dinner we went to the Desert Mob to buy some Aboriginal art, that was pretty great too. So Saturday was pack jammed with activity. Sunday I took the day off and did some selfish sewing. I finished my friend's baby quilt, so that will be in the mail later today. And I made a quilt for me...or maybe for you. I am still undecided as to what to do with it. I do love it though.

They both washed and shrank up so wonderfully. Especially the Cathedral window one. If you are making one, stick with it and wash it! You will love it so much more. The bigger one is named "Sunday Morning Romance" since I made it on a Sunday morning and I LOVE all the fabric in it. It reminds me of a scrap book of all the little weekend trips my husband and I have taken over the years. Little maps and ticket stubs and strips of florals like watching wildflowers from the car window on lovely back roads. There is some BDU and DCU in it too.


This picture is not quite what I had in mind, but it is the best we could do with the batteries about to die.


These pictures are out of order and I don't know how to fix that. But here is the inside of E. Hughes Stu tote. I love it. I think this bag took me about 12 hours to make. The inside pockets are amazing and each bit of this bag is quilted. It is in the mail and on the way to it's new mama. Good luck with your adoption, E!


Here is another bag I finished yesterday. This one is pretty simple, but even so took about 6.5 hours to complete. It will be on it's way today.

See here is E. Hughes Stu inside out. I just dig it so much.

This is something I have never done before because I felt it was vain, but here is a note I got the other day from Claudia. I have sewn for her before and she was so great to work with. She wants another bag, which is fine with me. But this little note just warmed my little heart, so since I can't figure out how to make the "Testimonial" page on my website work this might suffice for a bit.

"This is unrelated to ordering, but I just have to tell you that I'm amazed by how many bags you've created! I've had so much fun looking through them all and picking out little details that I'd love to have in mine. To be honest, I've seen a lot of army bags here around Fort Hood and nothing compares to yours. I know that I'm a little biased, but in all honesty they just aren't as high quality, detailed or involved. I don't know how to explain it, but the ones I've seen for sale seem like they're just being sold as fast as possible, as many as possible. Which is fine, I understand that these ladies are trying to run a business which I completely admire them for, but a loved one's uniform is such a personal thing and I feel like you genuinely care about me and my bag. I know that you're trying to finish a million bags at any given time but somehow, it still seems like I get your undivided attention when you're working on my bag. I feel like you're putting a little bit of yourself into the bag I receive from you and each one is so unique and special that no one will ever have a bag exactly like mine. I don't mean to ramble and gush too much, but I just wanted to say thank you again, so much for everything that you do. I know that you're just one woman sewing her heart out, but I'm in awe of how many lives you touch, mine included! "

OK, now back to working on H. Perez's bag. It is going to be awesome too!

XO,

Tia







3 comments:

bettyninja said...

Your quilt came out amazing. that design still looks a bit too hard for me, but you really inspired me to add it to my to do list. So nice!

Heavenly Blossom said...

I love that quilt you made :) Good for you taking time to do some sewing for yourself! You more than deserve it.

p.s.
I'm totally excited that you are working on my bag :) hehe

Anonymous said...

I agree with claudia, even though I've never ordered a bag from you and mostly just come here to salivate over them. You work makes me cry. It makes my heart swell, it makes me happy to see someone putting her heart and soul into something that means so much to someone else.

Not trying to make the fastest buck but realizing that you a creating a piece of someone's life for them to hold on to.

claudia said it better but, YOU ROCK.

I love that there are people like you in the world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...