At first glance this is just a squarish quilt...but look closer and you will see wonky log cabin blocks with lots of improv piecing. Most of the colored fabric is from Cherrywood Fabrics. I bought a scrap bag and I just loved it! I am hooked on it's hand dyed goodness. The Marbles are from an Aboriginal community not far from here. The background fabric, or cream colored fabric is my favorite 200 thread count muslin from moda. You can get yours at Hancock's of Paducah. It is heavier than the average muslin, but really makes a great finished quilt. Stu tossed it on the bed as soon as he heard the dryer finish and it really was nice to sleep under it. I think he is planning on taking it on his next venture to reality (TDY). Whatever...as long as he seems happy with it, which he really does. I guess I should sew for my husband more.
I quilted this quilt up different too. I decided to get out of my quilting box and just quilt with lines. I love how it turned out and it didn't take that long either since I used my darning foot instead of the walking foot for going around the blocks. I wanted it to look freehand...like I took a ball point pen and drew lines all over it. Then I hand stitched the binding on with thick cotton Perle embroidery floss.
Since I am so pleased with how this quilt turned out I will probably be doing Sam's quilt with lines too. But I am not going to go anywhere near quilting that guy until most of those bags over there are finished.
I worked one Stu's quilt because I was stuck on this back pack.
See...it is out of a flight suit and I had to re-think my design of the Sam Back Pack. Which in and of itself is no big thing...but the slippery flight suit fabric needed some more "umpf". In the end I just quilted the whole thing. I like how it turned out, especially that big flower on the front!