Sunday, February 15, 2009

BushFire Quilt Project Day 6

As of 2030 Alice Springs time there are 188 members of the Bushfire Quilt Project on Flickr. You have all been making the most lovely stars! I was going to try to go through and select my favorites...but I couldn't...there were too many and there is so much lovely work and love in each one. It looks like several of you are making entire quilt tops! I am blown away by your generosity and I can't wait to start quilting these quilts up! I selected several quilt tops below so you can get an idea of what the quilt tops are going to look like...notice the "twinkle" that is created when the stars are all together. Let your eyes roam around, I love them!



So far we have had so very many kind offers for donations of fabric for the backing, Batting for the centers and thread to do the quilting. Thank you all so very much! We will surely use them!

When I say "we" I am referring to my wonderful quilting guild and club here in town...as well as my fabulous friends what are going to help out as well. It is going to be an old fashioned quilting bee with participants from all over the world. We are all going to meet together, stitch up the quilt blocks into tops, stack them, and quilt what we can. It will be a great start. I wish you could come so I could meet you all and give you a personal thank you! After we are finished with the quilts we will work with the quilt guild in Victoria to find suitable homes for each and every quilt.
What a fantastic thing we have going here. Thank you so much for your response to it and all your hard work.


This most wonderful wonky star is by Sara's Scraps...it is just perfectly wonky...more of a super nova almost. So much personality and look at all that Improvisational piecing! I love this star.

This fantastic quilt top is by fissiett. Don't you love the tiny stars within the colored stars? I sure do. Also, can you see the twinkle in this top? I love how this looks.

This vivid quilt top is by Quiltsalad. The twinkle looks so good and the warm tones are wonderful.


This one is by LauraJay. The sweet pinks and white will make it lovely for a little girl who has lost her house.



This last top of the evening is from byneedleandthread. The jewel tones sparkle so nicely.
Can you believe that these ladies have whipped together entire quilt tops for this project...and in just such a short amount of time? I am amazed! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!
I know several of you have already mailed out blocks and tops and supplies, I will post as soon as I get your things so you can know that they have arrived safe and sound. It takes about 7 to 10 days to get things mailed from the US....I am not completely sure of international mail, but rest assured I will let you know as soon as I get your handmade love for the people of Victoria!


OK, I am going to try to get a couple more bags further along the bag making process!
xo,
Tia

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Thanks for the update on the project. These are lovely quilt tops. I've just started my top and I've got 6 blocks finished.

I have a question for you Tia. If I send this to your US address, once it arrives there, how long does it take to get to you in Australia? I'm wondering if that will be quicker than mailing it directly via our mail system (Canada) to Australia.

Shelly said...

Seems like no matter what other ailments (battles, skirmishes, etc) are going on in the world, the love and goodness of the people will always come together in times of need and crisis. God is such a good God! Happy Sunday. ~Shelly~

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

Wow! The quilts are looking great. You've started a movement that will surely bring some comfort to those in need.

Kristin L said...

Fantastic! I love that super nova too :-) It's amazing how many quilts you will be able to make and how generous of everyone to contribute -- large or small. You're doing a fabulous job of spearheading this project.

Unknown said...

I love all those stars. Great colors!

Ulla said...

I made the first 6 blocks this morning and when the remaining 6 are ready, I'll send them to you. You are doing a wonderful job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...