Sunday, January 30, 2011

Susan McCord Quilts

 So, Yesterday I went to the library looking for some smut novels to read and it seems I have read all the Highland warrior and vampire romance novels that were available. So, I wondered over to the quilting section....just browsing and I found some pretty good books. I brought them home and I was flipping through them when my eyes almost popped out of my head! Have you ever met Susan McCord? I bet you all have and I am the only one who doesn't know who she is....but the Henry Ford foundation has several of her quilts.
 She was a farmers wife back in the late1800s and she was a quilting genius. Look at these quilts!

 This is a bit about her, but if you don't have access to this book by Fons and Porter, you can read more about her here
 She used a great deal of pink calico fabric, but she strip pieced the leaves and buds before appliqueing them. Such a gorgeous result, don't you think?
 All that work, all that time invested into her quiet time. I wonder what she was thinking about while she was busy with her needle.
 This one is my favorite. So so wonderful.
So, I have cut some tiny strips so I can make some strip pieced vines too! Why not? I need some small work to keep my fingers busy with in case I have some quiet time to sew with just my thoughts.

xo,
Tia

9 comments:

teaginny said...

those leaves are unreal!

Katie said...

Wow. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor! What gorgeous quilts.

Laurie said...

Years ago that vine quilt inspired me to quilt a quilt with that design. I haven't tried piecing then appliquing it though. Good luck.

Kristin L said...

I love that leafy feathered star!

beth said...

yes, her quilts are inspiring!! Love all those leaves!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I love Susan McCord's quilts. You msut to go to Janet's blog, quiltsalott.blogspot.com and check out this post: http://quiltsalott.blogspot.com/2011/01/panel-4.html. Totally awesome. Beware, you may start this quilt and it could be come an addiction ;)

ana s. said...

I made a version of the Susan McCord quilt when the pattern came out (a long time ago). But I had never seen that crossed branch with leaves block design befoe. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

I'm going to have to check out that book again!

jmb_craftypickle said...

Love those leaves... you have such great taste!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...