Thursday, January 31, 2013

My favorite way to make half square triangles


Good Morning! I was trying to explain this half square triangle technique to my mom yesterday on the phone and I decided that pictures would be better than words. I am pretty sure this technique has been around for ages, but I first saw it done by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star quilt company. I think.

1) Take 2 squares the same size.


2) Lay them on top of one another


3) stitch around the entire block


for real, all the way around


4) Slice in quarters diagonally


see.


Now press. I like my half square triangles to have their seams open.






Half Square triangles are cool. You can do all sorts of layouts with them.

Happy Quilting Mom!

6 comments:

bellsjo said...

Now that is a really easy way of making HST. I would never have worked out how to do it without your tutorial - thank you!

Marjorie H said...

It looks like the outside edges of the blocks are on the bias... is that correct? Not that it's a big issue if sewn and pressed carefully.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this method either. love it!

Unknown said...

That is genius!

the Campfollower said...

Thanks so much ladies! I hope you try them and have fun with this method. Margie, I like that they have bias edges, they stretch just right for me. Or at least I have not had trouble so far.

Anonymous said...

So sort of a quarter square HST, that is unusual.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...