Saturday, December 1, 2007

Some favorites...

These are my kiddos holding Cicada exo-skeletons. The bugs have been feeling very romantic over the last couple days and are happily singing their mating song in time with my stitching. I don't fully understand their life cycle, but at some point they come up through the hard desert floor and pop out of their bodies revealing a new more colorful body. I sent the kids out into the heat yesterday because all I needed to do was finish the binding of "Norbert" and they were going crazy in the living room. Those 20 minutes of silence was so nice and productive, until the little guy ran back inside clutching something glorious in his chubby little hand. Proudly, he revealed "Harald". Scared me. Well, startled me really to see a big beetle bug like body being thrust onto my lap. Yikes! I marched the shell outside to see, much to my amusement about 50 cicada bodies being lined up and named (Herald, Twinkle, Sally, Princess Rainbow....) Ethan was in charge of the formation and Emma was scribbling down all the names onto her little pad of paper. Sam was snatching up the bugs that were less than worthy (those missing legs or just too ugly). Ahh the Australian Bush in the heat. And BOY is it HOT! I think it is going to be about 110 today at least. I made myself a quick hat yesterday, 2 really, but they are pretty ugly, so I wont show them off until I have perfected my pattern.

OK.... Many of you have been asking for advice on books and sewing machines. Amazon.com is my resource right now since we are living in the middle of the Desert. When I need Inspiration I go to these books. I have quite a few other books, but these are the ones that I really like and would wholeheartedly recommend. I have linked them all to Amazon for your convenience. After our Christmas party I will try to get my little lunch bag tutorial. I have been trying to figure out how to do it, but I will just give it a stab and you can ask questions as much as you like.

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
This is where I found my hat pattern.

Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew by Amy Karol
Great advice and projects from a very talented lady

Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Great book for little projects, and some not so little ones. (Norbert and Norberta are from this book)

Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
Wonderful inspiration and very simple things to make. I have made quite a bit of things from this book. And they all turn out very nice.

Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
I LOVE Amy butler (not in a creepy way, but in a very admiring way) this book is lovely and has some great projects. Some I have made, some are a bit out of my league.

Oh and for Clothes....which I am slowly trying my hand since KMART is the only shop in town...
Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe

Well that is all I have time for, gotta go get the kids covered in sun block!
Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...