Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hey there!

 Hey there! How are you all doing? We are pretty good. I have been quite busy with all the end of the year activities at the kids school, Emma's Deaf Olympics and my parents visiting. There was not that much sewing going on, but I have made up for it in the last couple days. That is my mom and I. We are protecting our complexions from the sun. Oddly enough we were the only women with hats on. I wonder why that is? Texas has a giant blazing ball of sunny cancer shining overhead and no one seems to care. Oh well. Frankly I love hats, and I always intend to make them to sell in my etsy shop, but other things end up happening and I don't do it. Maybe I will do a blog post just on hats...

 Emma did great at the Olympics. She is super tall and quick as a hare. My husband even got to break away from work for a few minutes to give her tips on the rope climb.

 On Mother's day I brought out my sweet old sewing machines to give them a bit of love. Mom said that she had no idea how to make a log cabin block, and far be it from me to turn down a teaching opportunity, so we spent the day making log cabin blocks from a jelly roll of French General fabric. I also taught mom how to oil her featherweight (which is back in NC, she is using my feather in the picture) I gave the Necchi a good cleaning and it is so quiet and has the most splendid stitch. It used to sound like a machine gun. How stupid was I not to take care of it. I am so ashamed. The Necchi truly is the Ferrari of the older sewing machines. I am so pleased with it.

 These are my parents. Aren't they cute? I love them so much and I am so happy they came to visit us. The kids had a great time with them and we are reading Treasure Island to them...thanks dad.

I am trying to start up a quilt club with the spouses club here at Goodfellow AFB, and Monday was our first meeting I brought my extra sewing machines (the Necchi, the featherweight and my Bernina 165) just in case someone wanted to borrow one. All 3 were put to use. It seems ladies want to sew, but have no idea where to begin. I am happy to show them! We made oven mitts. I think you can learn just about everything you need to know with an oven mitt. Don't you?

 One other fun thing Mom and I did was take a girls day. On Saturday went to a couple shops and just looked around and had a nice little lunch and right before we returned home we visited one of the antique shops that I like in town. Emma was with me and she is my blood hound. She can sniff out treasure and she found me another little featherweight! I did buy it. I am sure I could have found a better deal elsewhere, but I tire of waiting to find one at a yard sale...ya know? That is still my dream.... Brenda made me the little blue and purple quilt that my new sewing machine is sitting on. I love it Brenda!

And then my parents left us...onto more adventure in their cute little 16 foot Airstream Camper. For some reason my mom thinks she should only visit for 3 days. In my opinion that is ridiculous. My parents are always welcome here. It is so nice to see them and we only get to be together for such a short time....

Have a lovely week folks!

Tia

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This post makes me want to go hug my mom! :)

Melissa said...

I have a couple of friends who wear hats in the sun here in Kansas but I don't see very many who do. I'd like to find a regular sun hat myself. I always hike in a baseball cap but I think a full brimmed one would be a bit more fashionable for everyday.

So glad you had a nice visit with your parents! My parents finally stayed more than three days when they visited recently. They've always rattled off something about fish and company.....

the Campfollower said...

thanks so much ladies! it was such a great visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...